1. Parent Taught Driver Education Certificate
It is a half-sheet that says “FOR DRIVER LICENSE ONLY” across the top.
It has the Classroom Completion Date and Laboratory (In-Car) Completion Date.
You must have a PT-964, with a CONTROL NO. that begins with PT. All information must be filled out prior to taking the road test.
2. Verification of Enrollment. If the VOE was issued during the school year, it expires 30 days from issuance. If the VOE was issued during the last 5 days of the school year, it is valid for the entire summer. If you are 18 years of age, you will not need the VOE. If you have already graduated but are under 18, you can use your diploma instead.
Section 521.204 of the Texas Transportation Code requires students under age 18 who have not obtained a high school diploma or its equivalent to be enrolled in a public, charter, home, or private school; GED Program; or Institution of Higher Education and meet specific enrollment conditions to obtain or renew a license.
3. 30 Hours Instruction Log. This is for practice time at home with any adult licensed driver (21 years and older). You may click the link that follows to print a log sheet if you need one: 30 parent log
A minimum of 10 hours practice has to be logged at night-time.
A maximum of one hour driving per day can be logged.
4. ITTD Video Certificate. You may click the link that follows to register for the video: https://impacttexasteendrivers.dps.texas.gov/
ITTD is a 2 hour video that is a prerequisite to the Road Test.
ITTD must be viewed after completion of a Teen Driver Education course.
You must register and create a login before watching the video.
After watching the 2 hour video you will print out a certificate.
The certificate expires 90 days after watching the video.
When you are registering to begin watching the video, you will need to enter the TEA number of the drivers ed program you attended, which you will look up by the name of the program.
If you attended Alvin Street-Wise Driving School the TEA number is C1485
5. Behind-the-Wheel Instruction – Driver Education Affidavit
(Contained in your Parent Taught Packet)
One affidavit is required for each instructor who taught a student in each phase of the course. If there is more than one instructor, this form may be photocopied for use by the other instructor(s). *All instructors must accompany the student when applying for a provisional license. *This affidavit must be signed either before a Driver License employee at the driver license office or before a Notary Public before coming to the driver license office. *The document(s) must be presented when the student applies for a provisional license. *The definition of a qualified instructor can be found in the PTDE Information Packet.
6. Proof of Liability Insurance. You will need the insurance paper that you carry in your car which will look something like this. This must be the printed paper proof of liability insurance, not a smartphone app. The student’s name does not have to be on the insurance card.
7. TX Learner Driver License. You must provide your valid, unexpired Learner Driver License. If you are under the age of 18, you must have had your permit for at least 6 months before being allowed to take your road test
8. Parent or Guardian ID or Driver License. You must provide a valid, unexpired ID or Driver License for the Parent or Guardian of the teen to be tested. The same parent or guardian must take the teen to the DPS to obtain the license.
- You must have held your Learners Permit for 6 months and completed the Drivers Education Program.
- All documents must be completed and signed upon presentation.